"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 6, 2011

My Spots

So, I have three spots where I go when I want to learn, study, read, write, and often be a participant observer.  They all share a similar quality, but they are all different in one way or another.  Let me explain.  Nowadays (recent culture) many go to a cafe to network, socialize, work, and all and everything that a community cafe can offer and represent.  In my case I have three of them that have been in my rotation for some time now.  They all serve a different purpose but often I do my work at all three.  One of these spots is adjacent to my favorite bookstore.  I love this spot because I love to read and learn, and I really appreciate the comfort of being so close to a place filled with knowledge and learning. As a result of the location of this spot the influx of people that come in to the cafe is so diverse, and often we share the common ground of the learning, insight, and knowledge one can receive from buying a book from a bookstore while embracing the culture and community of.  I get some great work done here and have been frequenting this spot for over 10 years now!

My second spot is a little different than the first one.  This spot is immersed into a funky, upcoming unique neighborhood that is close to a University.  So, at this spot the population of people is also diverse, but now I am surrounded by students, educators, young professionals, new mothers, and those that come in and out due to working in surrounding businesses.  At this spot I also get some great work done!  However, now I am immersed back into a culture and community that I know so well from my own time immersed into getting a couple degrees.  It's a wonderful feeling and reminder of all the efforts and work I did to accomplish and acquire my degrees.  Furthermore, I feel so comfortable and connected here as I have never stopped the learning process since I completed my degrees.  This is something I take pride in because often when one completes their degree (s), they stop learning and just work.  Maybe they figure "I have done my time, I don't have to take any more tests, write papers, and all and everything that goes into this process."  Well, I take a different approach, I am a life long learner and I strive to continue to educate myself, observe, learn through the written word, and always through the eyes of others!

The last spot is a rather new one for me.  One that I picked up in the last year.  It's not too far from my home and is also in a diverse community, and with that it has its own culture and energy that promotes outcomes.  This cafe is a mainstream one (the others are both independent) and thus provides a population of folk that like their usual and they know what they want and where to get it.  The main difference between this spot and the others is that the majority of people who use this space are working professionals (or at least I think so), and therefore are not working away from a traditional office space, home, etc., but they are getting their work done.  I can tell, because as I often do I have observed and I have engaged.  Furthermore, I have been here at different times of the day and I often see the same individuals working away, while enjoying their favorite beverage or snack.  I like this spot and I have found myself coming here when I want to be surrounded by this culture, and my focus is on business, directed at my objective for the day.

The learning is there, its available for all, you just have to be willing to see it, use it, and as always allow it to move you forward in a wonderful way.  Until we meet again you be well to your day, and your day shall be well to you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA&noredirect=1


No comments:

Post a Comment