"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 4, 2011

You Know

I found myself reading over my last entry and I digested more and more the emotion behind those words.  I can see at times that my words may of appeared to be angry.  I can see that and so I wanted to address this, for myself and for others who may be following.  A central theme in these words was me addressing my displeasure at those who do more harm than good in their roles of helping others.  I can't tell you how many times I observed this in my previous work experiences in two systems whose overall goal is to help others change for the better.

It has always pained me to witness the actions/behaviors of someone who just couldn't keep it together, while attempting to provide service for someone in need.  Yes, we are all human, and perhaps we have a threshold that once it has been crossed it can set you off.  However, I have never felt or believed that this justifies someone causing someone else undue pain or suffering. You signed up for this duty.  You have been trained endlessly for this. You have taking the tests (another entry for sure!).  You have gone through the background checks, professional and personal references, and all and everything that an employer uses to assess and validate that you are the right fit for the job.  Well, that's just it!  You can go through all of this and there still are those that slip through, or just get to a point in their careers where they just project their frustration, anger, complacency, apathy, etc. on to others in need.  Do we fault them?  Perhaps in our heads we do.  Most often, we never address it in a way where there will be cause for change.  If your experience is like mine, then you often take the approach that "you can't tell another adult how to do their job."  Of course if you are in a supervisory or administrative role than you can, and you really have to, but even then sometimes it is not addressed.

It is a tough one for sure.  It is tough because it is not right and often when you are immersed into these working environments it can lump you in to the generalization that says "you are just like the rest of them."  Well you never have to settle for that.  If you are confident in your abilities and you strive to do the right thing without thinking you can.  You still might have to hear the "your soft" or "you have no idea" or "your living in a fantasy world" but you can always hold on to your self respect, integrity, and doing the right thing without thinking. Sometimes, doing the complete opposite of those who cause pain and suffering is the only way to model the right way, while not allowing them to control your behavior and actions.  They know what their doing, no one needs to tell them, they know. Until we meet again be strong, stand up and stay up!

The Time Is Always Right To Do What Is Right.
Martin Luther King, Jr.





No comments:

Post a Comment