"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 30, 2011

The Mentor

Today I visited with and remembered one of the most positive influences in my life. I embraced the reality of the lessons learned, guidance, and support that truly has kept me up during the good times, and the not so.  It made me realize that this influence is still present to this day, even though the person behind this is no longer physically with me. There have been many challenges and experiences along the way...  Ones that made me stop, turn left, and then right, and even turn around and go back.  The one thing that has remained, and been constant are the lessons and direction that I embraced from all and everything that was spoken and modeled.  The mentor can be a wonderful thing, I know it has been for me!

At this current time I am faced with an uncertainty that has no end in sight.  This has me in a place that can cause some level of stress and distress.  However, I know I will move with it and through it.  I know this time in my life will not bring me to my knees, I won't allow that.  I am in tune with the natural process that goes with the uncertain, a time that can produce a lack of substance that one needs to survive.  I am aware enough to know that it is at these moments where you grow, learn, and thus move forward with the wisdom that one needs to get through the challenges that life affords.  I know all of this because I have gone through moments such as these for many years now, and I have always moved forward, no matter how difficult it may have been.  Nearly 30 years ago is when I was able to begin to understand and become aware of just this.  It was a time when I was young, vulnerable, weak, and susceptible.  However, I always had the mentor close by to help me breathe easier through all of it.  As a matter of fact he was only blocks away, although at times it felt that my world and his world were as far away as one could dream....

I reflected on this today...  No matter where I have been in life, the lessons that the mentor provided were within me.  It has taken many years and moments to fully digest, appreciate, and now model the lessons and guidance I was given.  It is a powerful moment when you can truly understand how you are able to practice what you have been shown, or taught.  Particularly when you need these lessons the most, at times that find one questioning "how am I going to move forward?"  I am thankful and so appreciative that I have learned some good things along the way.  I am thankful that I was available and willing to embrace what was given.  I am thankful that no matter how difficult or painful life may be, I will and can always meet it face to face.  I am thankful for everything that the mentor was willing to give me.  He gave me so much, and with that I was able to combine his lessons with the self work, sacrifice, and determination that I have been immersed into for the majority of my days.  What can this produce one might ask?  Well for me, it made me wealthy in a manner that opened up doors and opportunity that has led me to a wonderful quality of life.  I may not be rich in the terms of $, but I am rich in ways that many never get to.  I know this because I see it every day.  This is what the mentor showed me, and I absorbed it like a sponge.  I may not know how this is going to play out, but I do know that I will be fine, everything is going to be OK!  Don't ever lose sight of what has been taught or given.  If you do you may just not be able to get through it.  If that happens, you weren't available or present when the hand was right there, waiting for you to grab it.  No matter how difficult the days may be, it will get better, it always does.  Until we meet again keep your head up!



No comments:

Post a Comment