"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 27, 2011

The Ohana

The Ohana (family) is on my mind today.  I am in the midst of reading and reflecting, and I find myself thinking about those in my life who are currently on difficult paths.  In my world my family is not only the one I was born in to, but those in my circle who I hold close to my heart.  Those that I wish no suffering for, but wholeheartedly know that it is inevitable in their own lives at some point in time.  When I find myself thinking about those in my Ohana who are struggling, I reflect on my own times of challenge... How I embraced it, struggled with it, and ultimately was able to get through it.  This helps me not only be available and present, but I am truly able to empathize in a manner that does not bring me down, but only brings me up to be strong for those in need.  It's a really unique trait as I have come to understand.  It has been a asset for me in my professional endeavors as someone in a position to help others change for the better, and in my personal experiences with my own pain and suffering.  I don't run away or hide from challenge.  I have come to understand (through much learning and experience) that when you work with challenge, versus working against challenge, you often have a better chance at resolving it, and moving closer to a positive outcome.

Often, when we are challenged beyond anything we may feel we can get out of, we spiral into a negative mindset and way that reinforces to us that the world is coming down and there is no way out.  We often focus on the worst case scenario and everything and anything that will prevent us from moving forward.  We often make the situation at hand much more difficult than it has to be.  I see this within my Ohana and its hard to be witness to.  None of us want to see those close to us in pain.   As much as we want to shake them out of it, or tell them the what and how to get through it, we often can not.  There is a reason for this.  You see, we as those who are suffering and in pain hold the answers to the solution, often it is right in front of us.  We just have to ask ourselves "are we able and available to see it?"  I know those in my Ohana that are in this place will get through it, and one day will be in a better place.  I know it will take a tremendous amount of effort, risk, challenge, and all that goes into changing for the better.  I know that they all deserve to have a life filled with the wonderful gifts that life can afford.  The ones they dream of, the moments that keep them up, bring tears to their eyes, and question them on a constant basis. I know they can get there, I believe in them, and I am available for them...  Stay present my Ohana.  Believe in yourself.  Trust that your headed in the right direction. You do it without thinking!!!

There is a solution to every problem as long as you don't fear the path to the solution.
Alonzo Mourning


No comments:

Post a Comment