"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

June 22, 2012

When You Learn Teach



I met up with some students of mine today.  Another great opportunity to guide, support, and teach.  The process is honestly one that I never imagined myself doing some 20 years prior.  You see, back then I was immersed into a different journey and opportunity.  Back then I was surviving, trying to somehow just get through the day, not knowing much about what I do now.  That is the beauty of it all, I can reflect (and I often do) and tap in to so many experiences and opportunities that I was fortunate to have.  Opportunities that have shaped me, strengthened me, and moved me forward and toward this point in my life.  Therefore, when I teach (from a didactic style) I have so much that I can go to (experience gained and wisdom earned) that helps me share and provide some very effective teachable moments.  I have come to embrace those moments when your teaching has allowed your students to learn and grow.  Those moments when what you are instructing has resonated and struck your students in a manner that clearly says "I get it, I never thought about that."  These moments really reward  me, providing another opportunity to receive from the process.

I can't predict what the future will hold, where I will land, and what other opportunities await.  What I can confirm, something sister Maya exposed me to is "when you get give, when you learn teach."  May this find all those that can hear me well, and may you always hold on to the idea that anything is possible, you just never know where you will end up.  Keep your head up and heart open as you move in to the end of the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment