"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

June 8, 2012

Maintain You!

Hear we are the end of the week, how has it been?  I was motivated to write today after reflecting and processing the week I had, the learning that came my way, and the giving and support I sent out.  Today, I write with intention and purpose, I write with awareness and a sense of self that is so intact that I see it all unfolding right in front of me.  Life as it is can always provide us with moments of uncertainty, challenge, and all that goes into holding us back from moving in the right direction.  However, when it comes down to it we have a choice, one that includes acceptance, understanding, and the ability to learn from it so that you can ultimately not allow it to control you in a manner that is unhealthy.  I was able to share this message and understanding with someone this week.  You see, I am fortunate to be in a position of a teacher, mentor, and a role model to someone who is in the early learning stages of this field we know.  The one that can produce so many challenges, the ones that can ask one "is this the right fit for me?"  No matter how much love you have in your heart, compassion in your actions, and awareness in your spirit you will be challenged.  This is exactly what is happening to my student, and the resistance and negative experiences she is being exposed to are not related to the people she is serving, but in fact the professionals she is being trained by.  Can you imagine?

I hope you can imagine that, you may be called a "professional" but that does not mean that you carry yourself as one. Is it inappropriate and unjust?  Is it correct and fair?  You know the answer to these questions.  As I was able to share, providing some teachable moments, it is something that you will be exposed to at some point in time in the field of helping others.  In fact, as a helping professional you will use your skill sets often with the adults you have to work with, just as much as the clients you are serving.  There is much to be learned here.  There are many influences and factors that go into the why, how, and all the rest.  I am not going to spell them out.  What I will say, and what I shared with my student is that you always have a choice.  You can choose to let it affect and effect you in a detrimental manner, or you can learn from it, pick your battles wisely, and ultimately accept it (not as right or fair) and cope with it in a healthy manner.  The last part is really important and if you've been hearing me along the way, you know I am real serious about self-care and well-being.  You see, the student was having such a hard time with what she was being exposed to that it was now hindering her in her personal and professional worlds.  Wasn't sleeping well, couldn't concentrate, not eating, not exercising, having a hard time being organized and following through, etc.  Yes, it was like that and that is not good, no it isn't.

So, as I write today with this example and my words.  I will say it again, and again,  Our profession is a tough one, often unpredictable, providing one with much challenge, at times coming from outside of the clients and cases we see.  If you do not maintain you amongst the day in an day out, you will see a change.  The question I present to you is, are you ready for it?  We are a prideful bunch, we help others, we're OK, we got this.  No, the strong ones are those that know when it is time to act, get the support, and the necessary help that will allow you to stay in this profession and be healthy while providing quality services, effective services, and sustainable services.  I know you can hear me, now digest this lesson and if you need to make some changes do so, if you can't get there give us a call, we are here to help you help yourself!  I wish you all well and may the weekend be spent loving and living.  As always, keep your head up and heart open!

* That is me in the pit (the holding pen where the bulls are held prior to the run) the day before I ran with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.  The year was 2003, I just came off nearly 10 years of running and it was now time to run with the bulls.  The experience was by far one of the most amazing and rewarding!  That pose was all about Can You Hear Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment