"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 11, 2013

Wisdom...

by Daniel Jacob, MSW: Founder of Can You Hear Me?


Wisdom...  My writing this week is inspired by the words to the left, and my thoughts as a result have allowed for further process.  *Contrary to popular beliefs, wisdom is not the gift of "knowing everything," but rather possessing an open mind to further increase knowledge.  A wise person always thinks before they speak, talk about subjects they know about, and ask questions about the ones he/she are not familiar with.  People who possess wisdom tend to be humble and do not show off, Wisdom...

It is fair to say that I have been provided some life experiences that have allowed for necessary insight and reflection.  In addition, my academic training and work experiences have only enhanced my understanding and awareness, Wisdom...  However, what resonates with me today is that connection between listening and speaking, and how my roots have shaped and influenced my wise ways. Growing up the youngest in a house with strong presence, separation, challenge, distance and many other factors impacted my inability to have a voice...  These early influences shaped my identity, but they also opened up a door towards opportunity.  As I moved through this space and place I was able to further develop by observing, listening and learning from my surroundings.  This foundation in of itself shaped my development and my ability to see what most pass by, Wisdom...

Although there have been many times in my life when I would of rather spoken, I have been afforded a true gift because I did not.  One that has allowed me to see through the eyes of others, and give in a manner that can truly change the quality of life.  What once began by challenge has moved me through that thing we call growth...  It ultimately turned into an ability to effectively help (and support) and I have been rewarded, Wisdom...

As I leave you with your own thoughts, may you move towards a level of understanding that once again will allow you to see what you have, and not what you just do not need.  Listening when you would have preferred to talk, Wisdom... 

* "Characteristics of Wisdom." Reference.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.  

 

 About Author

Daniel Jacob, MSWEmail
Founder of Can You Hear Me? External Field Instructor at University of Southern California School of Social Work MSW@USC. Daniel has a Masters in Social Work (Families and Children Practice/School Social Work). He is currently nearing the completion of the LCSW testing process. More about the man behind the mission⇢

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,

    How great to find your blog and especially this post. I have an initiative with the goal of creating social and economic gains through building the “wisdom of poor mothers”. Investing in low-income mothers as parents can have immense returns. I have kept that "W" word even though everyone wrinkles their brow when they first hear it. I was raised by a wise low-income mother and so know how quietly powerful they can be. My site has started as a clearinghouse of ideas, research and products that anyone in helping professions can use to help poor mothers increase their capabilities as parents. I say "capabilities" and not skills, because as you point out, it is not just about these mothers' knowledge but also about confidence in the value of what they do now and in the direction of their open minds. Thanks for adding this definition to my thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taia,

    Thank you so much for sharing a part of your story, passion, and opportunity to support a population in need. I am once again empowered by the contact I receive from those that can hear me, and my words have reached them with their own process and opportunity. I wish you continued success with your initiative and efforts as you strive to reach and teach!

    Keep in touch and please feel free to share my efforts with any and all who may be available to receive the kind of support I strive to provide. http://t.co/8bCt9cStPf

    May this find you breathing well...

    Respectfully,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete