"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

June 21, 2012

Start Where You Are At


"Not everything that is faced can be changed.  But nothing can be changed until it is faced."
~James Baldwin


Often when I write a new piece I go back over my previous entry.  This gives me an opportunity to self-reflect, see where I was at, while recognizing what I have moved into since.  This week was one that had me feeling off, you know those ones where you feel a little less motivated and engaged in the active process of life.  When I feel this way (and I do from time to time) I stay with it, I embrace what I am experiencing, with the idea that I will move through it, always learning from it.  You see, it's okay to not always be on top of the world, or not in that state that defines you as someone who has it all together.  Well, being all together can be up for interpretation, a subjective experience at most, but an opportunity...  I say opportunity because how you define your experience is often how you move through it, how you address what needs to be changed, adjusted, and dealt with.  For myself, I know that when I not in a good place or space, I acknowledge just that without over thinking or causing myself more undue stress or challenge.  I think it is fair to say that when we are not feeling all there, depressed and stressed, we are more susceptible to those negative influences that can produce the outcomes that we really don't want.  We can be really hard on ourselves, judgment comes in as if it is going to support you and be your best friend, well we know that is not the case.  If you can see where you are at during these moments of uncertainty (I say uncertain because often we are attempting to figure out something that has no plausible outcome) I can tell you that you are one step closer to working yourself out of it.  Please recognize this, as often when you become aware of your state and how you may not be supporting positive change or growth, you kinda of wake up.  You do, and the reason you can is directly related to a choice, your determination to want better, the belief that you can get there, and the final piece, the work you commit to in order to work yourself through it.

As I close this piece for today, an example that is as authentic as the one who is writing, I want all those that can hear me to embrace my words.  I want you to embrace the idea that the life you are living in is the ultimate learning opportunity.  If you miss out on the lessons that are there to take, you may struggle with much.  You can always point the finger, or attribute your challenges to someone or something else' doing.   However, at the end of the day you have a choice, and this decision often is based on how you interpret your ability or inability to get through and to the other side.  I know you hear me, and as I let you digest my lesson for the day, I encourage you to start where you are at, recognizing that you can and will get through it, you will.  You be well out there, stand up and stay up as you continue to walk with your head up and heart open!




No comments:

Post a Comment