"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

June 5, 2012

The Man With The Typewritter

Look around, what do you see?  Immersed into intention, purpose, and action I see the man with the typewriter.  The first time I saw him carry this object from the past it caught my attention, I did a double take making sure I was seeing correct.  It stuck out like it should, amongst the community of laptops, Ipads, smart phones (so smart because they stop you from actually thinking?) Ipods, and all the devices that have made the typewriter obsolete, or not.  The man with the typewriter went about his business, paying no mind to the group, one in which he did not subscribe to, he was definitely old school.  It made me think about just that, how far we have come, or perhaps how limited we have become.  I am inspired by the man with the typewriter, he taught me something that day.  He taught me that we really do not need all of this or that to get the job done, and in fact maybe all of this and that influence our opportunities in a not so beneficial manner sometimes?  We can get so caught up in what we feel we need to accomplish, while we forget and dismiss what we already have, what is enough, and what really matters.  I am thankful to have crossed paths with the man typing away.  Once again I was provided an experience that made me stop, reflect, add to my awareness and understanding, while grabbing my hand and leading me forward...

When I began writing this piece the man with the typewriter entered our shared space.  I was in the middle of a project that had outlived its time, and so I was ready to switch gears and move on.  As he arranged his writing device to begin with his work, I became inspired.  To the point that my fingers hit the keys and I just went with it.  As with everything I put down and out for those who can hear me, there has to be meaning, a message that helps you see through my eyes.  Today' message was born from being in the midst of it, and it was awareness that brought it my way.  The man with the typewriter helped me understand once again that I got what I need, and what I don't have is truly not going to negatively influence my effort, persistence, and resilience as I move forward and towards my goals.  You see, it's not the device(s) that enables you to make an impact, a difference in someone and something.  No, what you need is already there, and what it truly requires is your own effort, persistence, and your resilient being.  The man with the typewriter taught me this, and so I share this lesson with you.  As I look around at the many others staring into their laptops, consumed with the social media wavelengths, mindless and unaware, the one who is truly working is the man with the typewriter.  Remember, to keep it you must continue to work at it, to have it you must continue to embrace the learning that is present, and in order to have both you must always be available and well to receive it.  I hope you are able to see the man with the typewriter the next time you are in the middle of it.  I hope you see it so clearly, and when you do you will have just added something positive to your bucket.  Until we meet again you be well to your day, and your day will be well to you. Keep that head up and heart open!


No comments:

Post a Comment