"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

April 26, 2013

Why, What, and Who?

by Daniel Jacob, MSW: Founder of Can You Hear Me?


Good day to all of those that can hear me!  As my fingers hit the keys I am well and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that feeling. Today, I want to share a little more about the Why, What, and Who behind this forum, otherwise known as the Can You Hear Me? blog.  I was contacted recently by an organization Social Justice Solutions (whose platform is for social workers to share with others, to write on issues that concern social workers personally and professionally, to focus on advocacy, social justice issues & the profession of social work) offering to further support my mission by interviewing the man behind the mission. The full interview has been completed and is currently going through a final review/edit before it will be live.  Stay tuned for this piece as I plan to share it on all of my support platforms. However, before this happens I wanted to take this opportunity to share a section that focused on the Why, What, and Who as another opportunity to reinforce the influence, motivation and inspiration that empowers me to share!

I was asked: Discuss your blog, Can you Hear Me? Why did you create it, What is the goal of the blog? Who do you hope to reach through the blog?
 

The Can You Hear Me? blog; words with a voice, a story and an opportunity to inspire others to change for the better!  This platform has given me such a great opportunity to express myself in ways that I truly hope are reaching and impacting those in need. The creation of this blog was at a time in my life when I was transitioning from a history and exposure that although taught me so much, greatly impacted me from a mental health and physical standpoint.  By having a forum to share the affects and effects of my own personal and professional challenges and struggles, I was helping myself as much as I hoped I was able to help others.  As a social worker who strives to be a work in progress, embracing any and all opportunities to better my quality of life, while continually adding to my personal and professional self, my hope is to share this with those in the field who are experiencing their own challenges and struggles.  Therefore, I see this forum as another opportunity to support those in need while helping them help themselves via vicarious learning.

My blog is a continual effort to empower, support, and instruct.  When I write it comes from within, and the motivation and inspiration that I use to engage this process is based on my own personal and professional history, one that has and will continue to be my greatest resource.

My hope is to reach anyone in the helping profession in need of support whether one is a recent graduate who is unsure of their own skill set to a seasoned veteran who somehow became apathetic and complacent and doesn’t even know where to start. My hope for those that are available to read this interview is that they will have a better understanding of this model of support, one that is influenced (and understood) by an experiential and empirical journey that is ongoing, Can You Hear Me?

Stay tuned for the complete interview coming soon!  Until we connect again may these words find you well as you move into another opportunity to help you help yourself.  Remember, it always seems impossible until it is done!



 About Author

Daniel Jacob, MSW Email 
Founder of Can You Hear Me? External Field Instructor at University of Southern California School of Social Work MSW@USC. Daniel has a Masters in Social Work (Families and Children Practice/School Social Work). He is currently nearing the completion of the LCSW testing process.  
More about the man behind the mission ⇢

No comments:

Post a Comment