"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

September 14, 2012

You Must Enter By Yourself

Here we are... Today' writing is inspired by
the teaching that I have been invested in this week, and demonstrated so well by a recent quote I came across "Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself." 

This journey that I find myself on has taught me much, and in turn I have been given an opportunity and platform to showcase my model in many forums.  One that is greatly influenced from the experience(s) I have acquired, the education that I have been afforded, and the wisdom that I have achieved as a result.  Therefore, when I teach others I tap into what I can see, what I can hear, and what I know will help open up some doors.  As a facilitator of learning my style is rooted within the opportunity to show others what they may not always accept for themselves.  You can say its influenced from my social work training and practice, an influence that taught me so much about myself in order to be able to help others.  Yeah, that is a part of it, but there are many parts, one's that I have developed from my practice, and others that I work really hard to learn, understand, accept, and apply.  I am a participant observer in every way, one who strives to learn something new with every opportunity that presents itself.  With that being said, I don't have all the answers, and honestly I don't subscribe to.  You see, learning is not always about having the "right" or "correct" especially in the field of helping others change for the better, Can You Hear Me?


So, as I strive to reach and teach I respect the mutual process that I am engaged in and with.  I practice what I know will support, guide, and develop; active listening, being objective, empathic, and open to challenge.  I allow those that I am trying to reach to understand that it is okay to show you, not being so overly concerned about having the best, or most.  I let them know that the skills and development will come, and what you do not want to do, is force the process.  When this happens your practice will suffer, and you will most likely end up frustrating both yourself and those you are working hard to reach.  I tap into that place and source that led them into this career, one that is amazingly powerful, difficult, inspiring, and challenging beyond what one could expect.  I want to learn through their eyes so that I can open that door.  I want to help them help themselves when at times their pride, stubbornness, insecurity, and the walls that they have created will not allow them to move forward as they could.  I want them to be accountable for themselves, while not allowing the "contagion" factor to negatively influence their opportunities, growth, and development.  I want them to fully understand that their work can make a difference, but at the same time it can do damage when they are not aware, well, or engaged with the process.  I want them to be proud of their title and role, while understanding the attacks, assaults, and negativity that can come are part of it, never personal.  I want them to always remember the passion that drove them into this career, and when they are presented with challenge, I want them to fight for what is right, with respect and integrity.  I want to open the door, but they must enter by themselves!

It's been my honor to share a part of my thought process that comes from that space and place deep within. There is only one intention here, helping others change for the better as they strive to provide!  Be well to yourself out there, appreciate what you have, the rest will work itself out as it should...

No comments:

Post a Comment