"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

July 27, 2012

Checking In



Here we are on this Friday, my words and your availability to embrace them.  As is common in the field of helping others (empowering and supporting), we need to check in.  The week thus far has treated me well as I have embraced all of the opportunities that have come my way.  As we have discussed in many of the posts  that have been shared, these opportunities are presented on an often basis if you are present and available to receive them.  For example, many may see opportunity present itself when things are going well, when there is a positive outcome waiting, often based on materialistic gain.  This indeed is one way to look at "opportunity."  However, in the context of what I am sharing with all of you, opportunity is the outcome of an experience that can challenge you, that points you toward reflection and contemplation, and ultimately awareness.  These opportunities are the ones that we all can truly learn from, and guess what?  They are ready and waiting for you!  However, most walk right by them or allow themselves to become immersed in to negative emotion that puts on the blinders.  Life has so many wonderful lessons to share, and if you walk through it without being present for them, well some would say you just ain't living!  What I would say is that you can get to this place.  This life is waiting for any and all, and it only takes a commitment from you.  One that only becomes difficult if you allow yourself to create the barriers and obstacles that will prevent you from reaching your destination...

So where do you begin?  Quite simple, you begin by taking an active role in life, one in which you are physically, emotionally, and mentally intact.  When you are well this is when these opportunities are conduits to growth and awareness.  When you are not well the opportunities that often await are pain and suffering.  How do I know this?  Well, I know this on two fronts. The first is I am a social worker who has had enough time and experience in the field to see this opportunity play itself out.  The second and perhaps the most significant in the scope of my insight and understanding is that I have lived through it, I understand what kind of impact that pain and suffering can present.  By overcoming the latter, without running away from future challenge (that will and has come) my growth and awareness have showed me the way.  So, some would say that by living through it and being formally trained to understand it I am able to help others help themselves.  I agree but I will add that I continue to work, continue to educate myself, and as always work towards progress.  With that being said I choose to share with others in a manner that helps them move forward with their heads up and hearts open, it is that simple.  On that note I am done checking in, now it's time for you to check in with yourself.  Life is wonderful and if you don't see this, then it's time to start the process, time to go to work.  Be well out there, stand up and stay up!

"When you know better you do better."
~Maya Angelou
 


No comments:

Post a Comment