"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

March 28, 2012

Like Runnin A Marathon

A good friend of mine recently ran another marathon (yeah he is one dedicated and disciplined man).  Over the years I have admired and supported his efforts.  I live close by to the route (mile 7 to be exact) and to be able to cheer him on, while being connected to my community has been a wonderful experience, it teaches and reaches me.  Therefore, today's writing is inspired by this 26.2 act and the metaphor it represents for many of us, including myself.  Life as we know is a task, at times a challenge, one that provides us with many opportunities to improve and accomplish.  In a marathon you need to train for it, compete in it, and ultimately you will cross the finish line. There may be moments when you throw your hands up in the air "can't go on anymore" you've hit the wall.  In life we hit the wall from time to time don't we?  I know for myself that there have been many moments where I felt that I just couldn't do it.  However, I didn't give in or up, I rose up and challenged myself to move forward.  I've been running a marathon for quite some time, and I have hit the wall from time to time, but within these experiences I have moved closer to that line, one that leads all of us to opportunities and outcomes.  In fact today I had one of those opportunities...

I've been working really hard for the last several years, knocking down some walls, seeing through some space, not looking for answers but trusting the process.  Turns out the process led to an opening and that is exactly what can and does inspire, motivating one to keep on going.  Effort, persistence, and resiliency rewarded me in a manner that allowed me to break through the wall.  All the training, dedication, discipline, that goes in to changing for the better has renewed my belief that everything has and will work itself out.  Many say that running a marathon is so much of the mental process that goes in to the actual act, believing that you can, and will.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, that is in our power to believe that we will, and can get through anything.  If you want it, believe you can, and are willing to commit to it, well then! This is exactly what is needed to accomplish that 26.2, life is like running a marathon.  For all those that can hear me, don't stop believing in you, don't give up when it it feels like there is no opening.  Don't allow yourself to learn helpless ways, embrace where you are at and take action to change the quality of you.  Until we meet again you be well to yourself and hold on to the idea that you will get there, it's always possible!



"Take the first step in faith.  You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment