"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

April 12, 2011

Putting Yourself Out There

Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there.  Yesterday I attended a nonprofit career fair at a local university.  It was an opportunity to network, assess potential employment, volunteer, and internship opportunities.  In the past I have not always been a fan of the career fair, especially in my field.  There is always a mix of providers that may not fit what you're specifically looking for, or providers that are trying to solicit their services to train, enhance, and support other organizations.  So, you are going to a career fair to potentially find an employment opportunity and there are many providers there that are trying to find their own opportunities?  Regardless, I feel it was a good opportunity to put myself out there.  You see I am attempting to switch from the public sector to the nonprofit sector.  This in itself is a challenge, magnified by the times we face as a nation under the scope of just trying to get through this financial mess that was created by our own doing (not mine or yours but you get what I am referring to).  http://www.nonprofitjobscoop.org/17793

I am excited about the opportunity to educate myself and navigate through a arena that I know a little about.  I am excited about the opportunity to create and define what my interests are, and what my employment role may look like.  I am excited to share with others "here is my passion, my skills, my experience helping others, you think I have opportunity out there?"  So, never under estimate how direction and identification of a goal can be a true motivator to open the door to potential opportunities.  Often, it helps to be patient on the journey, to take the time to really understand what it is your looking for no matter where or when you begin the process.  So, if anybody out there can relate, or if your stuck in a world where you see no way out, understand there is always a way out, you just have to ask yourself, are you prepared to do the work and put yourself out there?



No comments:

Post a Comment