"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

October 12, 2011

Can You Stand The Rain?

What it B!  So, as expected their is much to focus on, think about, prepare for, and all that one would expect as they embark into a new arena of opportunity.  I wanted to to say thank you to those that I have heard from.  I truly appreciate the love and support, and yes I understand their will be some challenges, risk, and uncertainty on this path, its all good!  Speaking of it being all good I want to share a part of me that goes back to the 1980's, a time when I felt and saw things in my life that I honestly did not know how I was going to overcome.  It was during it all that I connected real hard with a music group out of Boston that was coming into the scene in a wonderful way.  In 1984 this group released an album that had several songs on it that I just fell in love with, and I have carried (the group) those songs with me for almost 30 years now!  This one song in particular touched me in a way that truly helped me feel the emotion and pain of my experiences at that time, and also allowed me to have another coping tool/mechanism to get through it...

I identified with the emotions of the song in such a manner that I have used this song to cope, breathe, and exhale ever since the first day I heard it.  If you focus on the lyrics of this song you may say " this song is about an intimate relationship" how could it possibly help some one cope with life's most difficult moments.  Well, that's the beauty of the connection to a song.  The song is about a relationship, the search for unconditional love, someone who can handle not only the sunny days, but can you stand the rain?  That in itself will help you understand the message and my connection behind this song.  You see, all I ever wanted was an unconditional love that would hold my hand along the way, and I had to learn how to handle the rainy/stormy days in order to embrace the sunny ones!  I have listened to this song at some of my most challenging moments,whether it was after a death, during a difficult relationship, driving to a job that challenged me to the core, or when I escaped far away from my reality (in the states) through lands that I dreamed about exploring.  After all these years I still listen and escape into this song when times are tough.  As I write today I am listening to this song, but today is different.  I am reflecting on how I was able to move forward all these years, never surrendering to where I chose not to go, I listen with strength in my heart, and a mind that once again says " Can You Stand The Rain?"  Yes I can, I always have...

The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment