"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

June 28, 2013

Is It A Calling?

by Daniel Jacob, MSW: Founder of Can You Hear Me?


Here we are again... The week has kept me moving like many of you out there, and with that I have been able to support others while receiving in the process.  My thoughts today are inspired by a recent question that was brought my way, "whether I think being a social worker is a calling or not?  In response to this question I can only speak from my own experience, observation and what I have come to understand.  As social workers (helping others change for the better) something or someone has impacted our decision to move into a career that can be rewarding and challenging at the same time.  

We all have a story, and if you've been following my community of support it's quite clear that I am a big advocate of sharing our stories.  You know, the stories that include the influences and experiences that have greatly inspired our decision to pursue a helping profession.  For myself, the catalyst towards a career in this field began from my own exposure to physical and emotional abuse as a young boy.   The affects and effects of this experience as a result provided me with a tremendous amount to learn from and overcome.  Through the opportunities to embrace challenge and adversity, I was given an opening towards growth and change.  I was motivated to better myself, which in turn led me into the field of social work and the opportunity to help others.  I know I am doing exactly what I was meant to be doing, my social work runs deep and there are many influences that impact, empower, and inspire my practice!

As uniquely different we as social workers are it is not too difficult to see the difference between a social worker that is in it for all the right reasons with something special to give, and those who just haven't committed to the necessary work in order to become the social worker that...   So, let's just say that some social workers are exactly where they should be, and some others may have the best intentions, but there are certain factors that are preventing them from maximizing their best potential.  I will let you decide whether it is a calling or not, hopefully I have given you some insight into how I see it all... 


As always you are a participant in this process, so please feel free to add to the discussion as you may.  Until we connect again may this find you well with your head up and heart open!




About Author

 

Daniel Jacob, MSW Email
Founder of Can You Hear Me? External Field Instructor at University of Southern California School of Social Work MSW@USC. Daniel has a Masters in Social Work (Families and Children Practice/School Social Work). He is currently nearing the completion of the LCSW testing process.
More about the man behind the mission ⇢

No comments:

Post a Comment