"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

November 29, 2011

Sharing The Love...

I hope that we are all well after the holiday that just passed.  I know it can be hard to kick start the engine after going back in time and experience(s) with family and friends.  After disconnecting from the rigors and responsibilities of life and the endeavors that require our attention and focus, it can be a challenge to regroup and move forward.  However, it is necessary to move forward and I only hope that you can and are.  For myself  I had an experience this past week that I can honestly say was a first and I want to share it because I believe there is something to be learned from and heard.  Thanksgiving this year was spent in Ohio with my wife's father, his wife, and my wife's grandmother.  Did I mention that my wife had not seen her father since she was eight years old.  Therefore, you could say that this was not the normal holiday trip.  The communication between my wife and her father begun nearly two years prior, and through the written word, photos sent, and mail received the reconciliation and reunion began to unfold.  Like many the separation and distance was initiated by a divorce, custody and abandonment, years apart, and a void that only grows in time. 

As a husband I always want the best for my wife.  I strive to make sure that she is safe and protected, supported and loved, and respected and heard no matter what comes my way.   I was on board from day one when the trip (and what it meant) was discussed, eventually becoming a reality.  I knew in my heart that the reunion and reconciliation would give all parties a wonderful beginning and ability to move forward, while releasing what pain and suffering had remained many years later.  I knew that forgiveness was present and there was no blame to be had.  I knew from my own experience that when you reconcile and forgive, you begin to live in a manner that gives you strength in your heart, while allowing you to breathe that much easier.  The time that was spent in Ohio could not of been determined, and what transpired was truly wonderful and all that a husband could be witness to and supportive for.  There was laughter, tears, stories told, gaps filled in, and quality time spent.   There was no itinerary other than spending time with one another.  I have had many thanksgiving holidays as we all have...  This one was special for many reasons.  I will always hold a special place in my heart for what I was able to witness and be a part of.  I am thankful for much, and what transpired over the past week truly gave me a jolt of thanks that I know will and has led to an opening for all those involved.

So, as I was able to share the love with the woman I love, and the family I had yet to meet, let me say to all of those that can hear me...  Life is here, there is no dress rehearsal, the voids are not going anywhere, and what you do with them is up to you.  All I can share with you is that what I was witness to this past week was wonderful, it will stay with me for a lifetime, and I know it has only effected my world in a positive manner.  That's all I could ask for, and all that I would want you to experience.  Be strong out there, don't think too much, just follow your heart and you will see the path that has been waiting for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment