"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

May 30, 2014

When You Give You Receive!

by Daniel Jacob, MSW: Founder of Can You Hear Me? 


When You Give You Receive!  If you've been on this platform before, then you may have heard me speak to this opportunity I am presenting to you today...  It's so easy to get caught up in the challenges and demands that this profession can present, right?  However, with a little self-care and self-awareness by your side you will be able to cope in a manner that will allow you to see, When You Give You Receive!

As I find myself walking into a new and exciting chapter in my career, I have been moved to share because this opportunity I speak to is so clear right now, crystal!  When we are empowered by the opportunity to support another for their benefit and gain, this process is truly inspiring. If you are having trouble following my lead, you may be in that space and place that has your availability on empty.  Our profession (helping others help themselves) asks us to balance two different outcomes of our efforts (reward and challenge).  However, sometimes one can get stuck in the effects of that challenge, and the impact that this can create will not support one's wellness...

If I have you thinking about just that, there is good news awaiting you...  This state (stuck in challenge) is as permanent as you choose for it to be.  The point here is that your suffering can either be temporary or long term, you get the opportunity to choose.  If you don't see it that way, then there is some work to be done.  We are provided with so much opportunity to give to ourselves as we enact the process of service and support, but it has to be of value to you, a choice, belief, and ultimately a commitment to the necessary work.  If you are able to get to this place, then you are more likely to receive when you give!

Recently, we lost one of the wisest pair of eyes that I have been fortunate to learn through, Ms. Maya Angelou.  I leave you with her gift to all of us, as her words, lessons and wisdom will live on... 


“I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

~Maya Angelou (1928-2014)
  

 About Author

Daniel Jacob, MSW  Email 
Founder of Can You Hear Me?  Adjunct Lecturer and External Field Instructor at University of Southern California School of Social Work | VAC.  Daniel has a Masters in Social Work (Families and Children Practice/School Social Work).  He is currently nearing the completion of the LCSW testing processMore about the man behind the mission ⇢

No comments:

Post a Comment