"You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."
~ Maya Angelou

February 21, 2013

A Little Perspective...




“Seeing is not believing; believing is seeing! You see things, not as they are, but as you are.” 
 ~ Eric Butterworth




 

As I hit the keys for another opportunity to give while I receive, I am well and in a good place to share.  I was able to disconnect for a few days over this past holiday weekend, and it was exactly what I needed in order to get some needed perspective, while breathing easier along the wayLike many of you, I know when I am not where I want to be or need to be, thus the opportunity to step away couldn't of come at a better timeI found myself feeling discouraged and consumed the week prior with the kind of thoughts that were not supporting my best interests.  I couldn't shake the conversation that centers around "what I'm not doing and what I should be doing."  I was putting unnecessary pressure and judgment on my shoulders while pulling away from what I knew to be true, control what you can and what you can not put it in its right place.  It's OK to have these kind of moments as they are are part of the overall learning process.  As long as you are aware of what is happening and you take purposeful action to prevent these obstacles from really getting the best of you, it is another opportunity towards your work in progress.  The time away allowed me to step away from the consumption that I was creating, and by disconnecting and detaching myself from this influence I was able to get back to that space and place that has me well...




“If our thoughts and hopes are elsewhere, it is impossible to set our faces steadily toward the work required of us.”  
 ~ Anonymous 




 


The visual memories that I have included in this post serve as a great reminder that "time away" is often necessary in order to get back to where we need to be.  It is very easy to get caught up in our daily demands and challenges, ones that are created for us, and ones that we create for ourselves.  Being away is not so much about where you are, but what you are doing to meet your self-care needsIt will always take determination and effort on our part to make this happen.  Furthermore, it takes availability and awareness in order to recognize when it is time to hit the pause button, acknowledging that it is time to separate ourselves from the source of our own distress.  If you're thinking you need time and money in order to make this happen, please understand that you don't need ample time or financial backing to achieve this opportunity, I sure did not.  You will though need commitment and action, and whatever obstacles may be in place that are preventing you from not achieving time away will be entirely decided by choice, YOURS.  What do I mean by that?  Think in terms of the convincing game that we can easily bring to the table, "I can't afford to take time off because I have too much to do."

We must recognize that the blueprint is not too difficult to embrace, but you have to want it and when you are mindful of just this your ability to take action is much more realistic, moving you closer to the support that will help you help yourselfI knew I was at that place where I needed a break, time away for a little perspective and another reminder that Wellness means overall well-being. It incorporates the mental, emotional, physical, occupational, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of a person’s life. Each aspect of wellness can affect overall quality of life, so it is important to consider all aspects of health. *Dunn, H.L. (1961) High-Level Wellness, Beatty Press: Arlington, VA.   

As you move into the end of your week may the lesson given find you well.  May it allow you to take time for you and your needs.  What ever you did not get to will be there when you return, and often in a better place if you come back in one as well.  Until we connect again as always keep your head up and heart open while standing tall for what you know will serve you well.  Can You Hear Me?



About Author
 








Daniel Jacob, MSW  Email
Founder of Can You Hear Me?  External Field Instructor at University of Southern California School of Social Work MSW@USC.  Daniel has a Masters in Social Work (Families and Children Practice/School Social Work).  He is currently nearing the completion of the LCSW testing process.    
More about the man behind the mission ⇢

No comments:

Post a Comment